Bestselling Author, Business & Learning Expert
What do I do, and what's in it for you?
My goal is to help you make more money, get more done, and have more fun in your day-to-day life. If you want to be healthy, wealthy, wise, and happy, you'll find my research quite useful.
Every day, I conduct research in the following areas:
- Business - understanding how successful businesses really work, and how you can use that knowledge to improve your career. Once you understand business at a deep level, starting a new venture or leveling up your career is simple. If you want to become a respected, top-performing, highly-compensated expert in your field, you'll find my business research quite useful.
- Solo Entrepreneurship - how to start your own sucessful business under very specific conditions: limited resources, no outside funding, no employees, and no shareholders, while maintaining personal interests and healthy relationships with family and friends. Sound difficult? It's easier (and more rewarding) than you might expect.
- Skill Acquisition - how to learn new skills as quickly as possible. Skill acquisition is a universal human activity, and it's extremely rewarding, but it usually takes a long time, and can often be frustrating. My research is focused on helping you move through the early phases of skill acquisition as quickly as possible, allowing you to learn anything with less effort and frustration.
- Applied Rationality - how to form accurate beliefs, and how to act in ways that produce beneficial results. Rationality skills help you make better decisions, maximize outcomes, minimize unproductive effort, and avoid preventable mistakes.
- Boring Advice - people tend to overlook the most valuable advice and perspective because the stuff that works isn't very sexy or attention-grabbing. Useful advice often sounds boring, but acting on that advice can produce amazing results. I focus on sifting through vast amounts of information to find high-value, systematically-underrated actions, decisions, and perspectives in every area of life.
- Core Human Skills - what you need to know to succeed in any field of endeavor. My research suggests that there are 12 core human skills that people use to understand and improve the world around them. I believe that you can get better results in every area of human existence if you focus on developing these skills.
- Personal Science - how to conduct high impact, low risk experiments to improve every aspect of your life and work. In contrast to slow and expensive large-scale studies, quick and inexpensive personal experiments can help you discover new ways to solve major problems and get better results.
Official Biography (Short Version)
Josh Kaufman is the author of two international bestsellers, The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business and The First 20 Hours: How to Learn Anything... Fast!, and is one of the top 100 business authors in the world, as ranked by Amazon.com. Josh conducts independent ongoing research in business/entrepreneurship, skill acquisition, behavioral psychology, and systems design/optimization.
Josh is also the curator of a list of the best business books available. PersonalMBA.com has been visited over 2 million times by readers all over the world since its founding in 2005. The widely-acclaimed Personal MBA manifesto and recommended reading list has been downloaded over 1.28 million times from ChangeThis.com.
JoshKaufman.net was named one of the "Top 100 Websites for Entrepreneurs" by Forbes in 2013.
Read Josh Kaufman's Full Biography →
Did you know both of my books are available as audiobooks? Think of them as very inexpensive course versions of the book. They're perennial bestsellers on Audible.com, and The Personal MBA was recently honored at the Audie Awards, the "Grammys" of the audiobook industry.
Even better: you can get one of my audiobooks for free if you don't yet subscribe to Audible. Click here for details.
The #1 International Bestseller, Revised & Expanded. A world-class business education in a single volume. Learn the universal principles behind every successful business, then go out into the world and make your own. More...
A practitioner's guide to rapid skill acquisition. Accelerate your learning by deconstructing complex skills, practicing the most important elements first, and removing barriers to deliberate practice. What do you want to learn? More...